Guide
One concept that really stuck out to me during my studies of the NEPEM Model was the third principle of "Guide." I like the use of the word guide. For me, it helps illustrate that I can show, and recommend to my child how they should behave, but ultimately, they have agency and get to choose for themselves.
I know how frustrated I get when I feel like others are making decisions for me. I feel defiant and bothered and I bristle at any task assigned to me. Our children feel the same. It took me several years to understand that removing choice from my children was the wrong tactic.
When my oldest daughter, was a toddler, we would have daily battles about what outfit she would wear, how to do her hair, and what shoes to wear. Clearly, our perspectives did not align. She was unhappy, and even though I often "won", I was also unhappy. Fast forward 6 years later, and my 6-year-old daughter has chosen which outfit to wear, how to do her hair, and what shoes to wear since she was 2. Luckily I learned that it is more important for my children to feel like they have control of things in their lives, instead of what I wanted.
This class helped give that principle a name. In "Between Parent and Child" authored by Dr. Haim Ginott, discusses seven principles of emphatic communication. The seventh principle is, "Give children a choice and a voice in matters that affect their lives. Allowing them agency, as we have, helps us to be able to guide them, better preparing them to navigate their lives once they no longer have us by their side.
Redirect
Notice how much energy and effort should be put into building healthy relationships with yourself, with your spouse, and with your child(ren). Then we encounter the teaching section, which nestles within the "guide" NEPEM principle mentioned above. The very smallest amount of our time should be spent correcting our children. And when it is necessary, it is of utmost importance that we are correcting the "right way"
Dr. Laurence Steinberg, Ph.D., penned a book called, "The 10 Basic Principles of Good Parenting." The eighth principle teaches to avoid harsh discipline. The book shares five elements that must be included for effective punishment:- An identification of the specific act that was wrong.
- A statement describing the impact of the misbehavior
- A suggestion for one or more alternatives to the undesirable behavior
- A clear statement of what the punishment is going to be.
- A statement of your expectation that your child will do better next time.
Works Cited:
Company, T. A. (n.d.). The Parenting Pyramid - Brigham Young University–Idaho. Retrieved April 5, 2022, from https://content.byui.edu/file/91e7c911-20c5-4b9f-b8fc-9e4b1b37b6fc/1/Parenting_Pyramid_article.pdf
Ginott, H. G., Ginott, A., & Goddard, H. W. (2004). Between parent and child. Random House.
Smith, C. A., Cudaback, D., Goddard, H. W., & Myers-Walls, J. (1994, May). Of critical parenting practices - K-state. K-State.edu. Retrieved April 5, 2022, from https://www.k-state.edu/wwparent/nepem/nepem.pdf
Steinberg, L. D. (2005). The ten basic principles of good parenting. Simon & Schuster Paperbacks.
No comments:
Post a Comment