Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Freebies :)

Last night, the Kolste girls and I went to a baby shower for Tyler's cousins wife Tiffany. She lives in Salem, UT. hmmm... no big deal, I've been down that way before, it'll be easy to find.

WRONG!

Apparently driving to Salem when your husband is behind the wheel is much easier than when he isn't. After picking up Ashley in Orem, I hopped on the freeway heading south- so far so good. As I am driving along, I think to myself, 'I don't think I know what town Salem is next to, I better call Tyler quick.' call #1 to Tyler results in me finding out Tyler is no help at all. He is 'almost positive' that Salem is either before, or after Spanish Fork, and wisely counsels me to 'just keep an eye out for the sign'. I continue my journey southbound. Kasja and I are joyfully singing along to the radio as we pass Provo and Springville exits. Spanish Fork is quickly coming up and we both keep our eye's peeled for a 'Salem' exit. There wasn't one before Spanish, so it must be just after. But as we quickly found out... there isn't one just past Spanish either. hmmm, weird. I better call Tyler again. Call #2 to Tyler results in me finding out that Tyler is still no help at all. He reassures me that we must be close, and to just keep an eye out for the sign. The next sign we see read 'Benjamin 1/2 miles'. Benjamin? what in the...? Since when did we have a Benjamin in Utah? Kasja and I start laughing about what a fun little town Benjamin must be, and as we pass the exit, I happen to glance at the stop sign just off the Benjamin off ramp and see a sign that proudly declares '<-- Salem.' CRAP! I think that may have been our exit?! but it didn't say Salem, it definitely said Benjamin. I better call Tyler quick to see if there will be another exit shortly after Ben town that will get me to Salem? Call #3 and Tyler offers these gems, "Oh yeah, I remember now. There isn't a Salem sign. You were definitely supposed to get off at Benjamin." Great, thanks babe! So at the next exit, which isn't for another 5 miles, we hurriedly get off the freeway, and quickly rejoin headed north looking for the Benjamin exit. I am feeling quite confident now that I know where I am going. But sadly, all confidence is shattered when the very next sign I see says 'Spanish Fork 1 mile. Whaaat? No, this couldn't be, I need the Benjamin exit! There is no way I could have passed it already? Why would they skip Benjamin for the people traveling northbound? Do north bounders in general have no need for B town? doesn't seem fair. I pull off at the next exit we come to (which is still marked Spanish, btw) and make an executive decision to just drive towards the mountain. By the grace of God we somehow managed to eventually show up in Salem, which is miles away from the unmarked freeway. I would like to take this time to thank both my husband, and the Utah County signage department for making my journey a colorful one. We all need some color in our lives, right? But now for the good part- Tiff ended up signing up for a 'win a baby shower' contest online. And guess what? She won! The company (no idea what company it was?) sent her a giant gift card, a cake for the shower, and some pretty flowers. But the best part is- They sent her party favors for all her guests to take home! These weren't your ordinary party favor bags filled with tootsie rolls and and an eraser for the top of your pencil either. They were legit. Entire gift bags stuffed with tons of baby gear! Over $200 worth of stuff. I LOVE free stuff. They had gift certificates, and cute binky holders, bibs, bows, bottle accessories, baby bath and shampoo, bum balm, the works! How cool is that! Totally worth the wild drive to Salem, and back that drained my gas tank completely :) p.s. If you ever need directions to Salem, just gimme a call. I'm a pro now. (don't ask Tyler)


and just because my kid is freakin cute, here is a pic. eat your heart out

3 comments:

Potters said...

Cute pic! That was a nice hook up at the shower! Too bad you didn't know to call me. I could tell you where Salem is and I've actually lived in B town. Small world.

Nicki said...

Wow what a drive. Maybe you should have called me instead of Tyler, after all I live in Spanish Fork whis IS right next to Salem. Very cute picture of baby K too.

Mindy said...

She is very cute. Good job